A Book Review, A Girl’s Dress, and a lot of Swearing

Greetings, sewing chums. It’s been a while. Work and life have got in the way of blogging, but I have been beavering away in the background on a few projects. Today I bring you two firsts: a book review and a girl’s vintage-style dress. Spoiler alert: it involved a LOT of post-watershed swearing.

I was given ‘Sewn With Love: Classic Patterns for Children’s Clothes and Accessories’ by Fiona Bell a couple of Christmases ago. Despite being filled with gorgeous vintage-styled patterns for kids, It’s been languishing on my bookshelf while I gorged myself silly on selfish sewing. After a number of heartfelt pleas  to “make me a dress please, Mummy”, I gave in.

Sewn With LoveI don’t think of myself as a novice sewist these days, which made the problems I encountered all the more annoying. First off was a PDF pattern that was fiendishly hard to assemble. I’ve cut and stuck my fair share in recent months and I’ve always found the quality of indie PDF patterns to be really high. This was not the case. The margins were tiny, and pieces were laid out in the least economical way possible. There was an absence of standard pattern markings.

The written instructions were sparse, accompanied only by the vaguest of sketch drawings. Thankfully I’ve learned enough over the past couple of years to make an educated guess. The least satisfactory of fudges was the bottom of the button band extension. I had a couple of attempts, and gave up on the basis that it would not be noticeable.  I am hoping all will become clear when I attempt the cuffs on my next big project: The Grainline Archer.

button extension

I did wonder if anyone who actually makes clothes had proof-read the book. Other irritating errors and omissions included metric/imperial measurements that didn’t tally  (for example the option of 1cm or 1/2″), and interchangeable non-standard seam allowances of 5 or 10mm. The fabric requirement was huge and not proportionate to the pattern sizing; I probably had at least 1.5m too much. The final straw was the pattern piece for bias binding the neckline that was at least 4 inches too long.

No doubt, the images in the book are lovely. It’s an aspirational craft book, rather than a serious sewing book. It’s put to shame by the quality of independent companies, who create patterns with clear instructions and easy-to-assemble PDFs. In the spirit of adventure I would probably attempt another dress, but would know to expect that the instructions were merely suggestions. I did enjoy making a scaled-down dress, and threw in an alteration for good measure by adding an inch to the length of the bodice to accommodate my tall girl.5o's girls dress

As you’d expect, my daughter absolutely loved her girly, twirly dress, so the adventure was worth it! I shall be taking Patrick Grant to bed tonight to console myself: Mothers’ Day came early this year with the arrival of the new GB Sewing Bee book in the post and it looks fantastic….. What’s been your worst ever sewing pattern experience and are you ready to cope with the end of another series of the GBSB?!

Advertisements

9 thoughts on “A Book Review, A Girl’s Dress, and a lot of Swearing

  1. I’ve missed you! Does your daughter like/wear it? I think it’s lovely. Well done on your patience – I admire your perseverance. I also have the new book but haven’t had time to look at it yet – all the reviews I’ve read indicate that it is for the intermediate sewist so hopefully it will be perfect!

    Liked by 1 person

    • I’ve missed you too! And I’m off to make Ultimate Trousers in Clapham this week! My daughter loves it, but I still have to add buttons. I wasn’t going to bother with the GBSB book, but the blog reviews were amazing. There’s at least 5 things to make straight away! x

      Like

  2. I think the dress looks really cute! Shame about the book being rubbish though! I have a list of things I want to make from the gbsb book – I just have to find the time to make them now…….

    Like

  3. The dress is really pretty and your daughter loves it – you get all the brownie points! I had a horrible time with a Simplicity pattern for a steampunk costume – the instructions to attach the overskirt were entirely incomprehensible and I couldn’t find anyone online who had succeeded – I ended up making the overskirt separately and attaching it with safety pins! It’s a costume though so not the end of the world and it looked fine (and my daughter liked it)

    Louise

    Liked by 1 person

  4. Pingback: Packing the Stash | Sew South London

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s